Member Playing Achievements
Whitevale Golf Club has one of Canada's richest histories of elite player achievement. Today, our membership continues to feature more than its fair share of standout players in every category from junior girls to senior men and everything in between. We like to credit our golf course, which provides the character and challenge necessary for competitive players to develop and continually improve their skills.
We are tremendously proud of every player who ventures outside our club to measure themselves and represent Whitevale regionally, provincially, nationally and beyond... and we are pleased to acknowledge those accomplishments here, as well as significant triumphs on home soil.
This section highlights the playing achievements of Whitevale golfers over the lifetime of the club beginning with the past golfing history, followed by present accomplishments, and concludes with current and past achievements of our junior golfers. Information for this section has been gathered from golf association websites, scrapbooks, knowledgeable individuals, and Pro Shop staff. It is believed to be very close to being all-inclusive, however it is possible that we may have missed a few significant achievements and invite members to share their knowledge by informing the club of a possible addition to these accomplishments.
Club Champions (since 1959):
Mens' Club Champions are: Jack Payne (3); Hugh Vallis (1); Herb Carnegie (3); Bruce Brewer (9); Jim Short (2); Paul Davis (7); Scott Gardiner (1); Bob Nebel (2); Don Davis (3); Dave Thompson (1); Glenn Davis (2); Ken Thompson (1); Gord Chilton (1); Hank Nijhuis (1); Barry Catterall (1); Alex Letros (1); Mark Burrell (1); Mark Brewer (17); Cam Hreljac (1, 2016 Champion)
Womens' Club Champions are: Lois Brewer Sr. (1); Ruby Fenton (2); Carol Boyes (2); Betty Gilbert (2); Pat McClellan (1); Heather Huestis (2); Barbara Merrick (1); Leslie White (4); Sharron Miles (2); Lois Brewer Jr. (1); Phyl Shirley (4); Frances Passmore (1); Judy Morrison (9); Nancy McConnell (4); Debbie McDonald (7); Kathy Pilkey (1); Jacquelyn Dunne (Burrell) (3); Angela Colm (8); Gail Pimm (2); Ann Griffin (1, 2016 Champion)
Highlights from the past!
* July 19, 1958, Globe and Mail at Forest Hills Golf Club, Bruce Brewer, with a 4 handicap at the age of 21 yrs. won the Ontario Public Course Amateur Championship, beating out his elder brother, Doug Brewer. Bruce shot a three under 69, edging out Herb Carnegie, leader for part of the tourney.
* May 30 1959 Toronto Telegram: "It Seems That Lefties Can Win Golf Tournaments." Whitevale Professional, Gus Maue, amateurs Jack Payne and Ken Thorpe won the Ontario Pro-Am Best Ball. In doing so they defeated Bill Mawhinney of Burlington, amateurs Nick Weslock of Windsor, and Gordon McKenzie of Lambton. There was a real scramble for 3rd spot, with seven threesomes tied, including Markham Pro Al Balding teamed with Wally Crouter of Weston and Don Cavotti of Islington.
* July 13, 1959, the first hole-in-one at Whitevale was by Gerve Huestis, 14th hole
* 1959, Art Wilson wins the Ontario Senior Amateur held at Cutten Fields GC in Guelph with a round of 72.
* 1961, Bruce Brewer wins the Weston "Willie Park" Invitational.
* 1966, Martin Mason wins the Ontario Golf Association Amateur Championship held at Summit G&CC in Richmond Hill with a 4 & 3 victory over Jim Neale of the Tyandaga G&CC. This marked the last year the winner was decided via match play.
* 1974, Jack Moir scored aces on consecutive Sundays, both on the 9th hole, with the same iron, and with the same playing partners.
* 1978, Tee Off, The Golf Newspaper: Whitevale wins the George S. Lyon team trophy at Summit Golf Club, with the team of Paul Davis, Bruce Brewer, Bob Kennedy, and Bob Nebel. They were the only team to have all four players post scores in the 70s.
* October 1978, Whitevale Newsletter: Graham Gunn of Whitevale wins the Canadian Professional Golf Association of Ontario Assistants Tournament at Cherry Hill.
* 1979, July 21, Toronto Star: Paul Davis is the winner of the 57th Ontario Golf Association Amateur Championship, and the Star trophy. In doing so he beat out Nick Weslock of Glen Abbey, and Gary Cowan of Kitchener. Davis was also a member of the winning Ontario Willingdon Cup team. Paul Davis was also a 7 time Whitevale Club Champion.
* 1980, Whitevale wins the George S. Lyon team trophy for the second time in three years with the team of Paul Davis, Bruce Brewer, Jack Lilley, and Hank Nijhuis.
* June 1981, Ontario Golf News: "Whitevale Pair Wins Best Ball". Bruce Brewer and Paul Davis win the Ontario Golf Association Best Ball Tournament after playing together for five years. The pair were ready to break up, with Brewer ready to team up with his son Mark, a top junior player. They will have to play together one more year to defend their championship.
* July 23, 1982 Toronto Star: Nancy White, Assistant Pro at Whitevale, wins the Ontario Ladies Amateur Golf Championship at the Fonthill Golf and Country Club, edging out Marlene Streit by two strokes. In 1981 Barb Bunkowsky edged out White for the same championship at Ancaster.
* 1982, Whitevale wins the George S. Lyon team trophy for the third time in five years with the team of Paul Davis, Bruce Brewer, Mark Brewer, and Ray Brammer.
* 1985, Rick Todd wins the Ontario Golf Association Amateur Championship held at the Barrie CC.
* 1986, Mark Brewer places 3rd at the Canadian Amateur Championships played at the Mactaquac Provincial Park GC in Fredericton, New Brunswick earning him an individual bronze medal. This high finish secured him a spot on the four man Canadian team that was to go on to have great success in Venezuela.
* 1986, Mark Brewer wins a gold medal as part of the Canadian four man team that captures the World Amateur Teams Championship contested in Caracas, Venezuela. Mark was pivotal in Canada winning the Eisenhower Trophy by finishing 2nd low gross among the 156 competitors earning an individual silver medal.
* 1986, Mark Brewer is ranked #1 among Amateurs in Ontario.
* 1991, Angela Buzminski wins the Ontario Ladies Match Play Championship and is runner-up at the Ontario Ladies Amateur Championship.
* 1993, Angela Buzminski is runner-up medalist at the NCAA Women's Championship and earns First-Team All-American honours.
* 1994, Angela Buzminski is a Quarter-Finalist at the U.S. Women's Amateur Championship.
* 1999, Mark Brewer wins the Canadian Club Champions Championship held in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
* 1999, Chris Reiter wins the Ontario Mid-Amateur and the Ontario Better Ball Championships.
* 2000, Gord Chilton reaches the Semi-Finals at the Canadian Amateur Championship played at the Glendale G&CC in Edmonton.
* 2003, Mark Brewer sets a new Whitevale course record with a 62 from the back blue tees.
* 2003, Mark Brewer wins the Ontario Champion Of Champions held at Whitevale.
* October 2003, Barry Fairhurst scored his first career hole-in-one on the 13th hole (then #15), a 310 yard par 4, with a three-metal.
* 2004, Mark Brewer is ranked #1 among Mid-Amateurs in Ontario.
* 2004, Mark Brewer ties his own course record at Whitevale with a 62 from the back blue tees. Standing on the fourth tee, Mark was 10 under after 12 holes having started on the 10th hole.
* 2004, Bob Tennyson scored a tri-fecta, with aces on holes 4, 12 (then #14) and 14 (then #16). The front nine closed on September 1 for course reconstruction, ending his chance to ace every par 3 in one season.
* 2005, Debbie McDonald wins the Ontario Senior Championship played at Summit Golf & Country Club earning a place on the Inter-Provincial team.
* 2006, Barry Fairhurst sets the competitive course record with a 67 in the final round of the club championship from the new back black tees on the more difficult completed golf course redesign.
* 2007, Bruce Brewer wins the Super Senior division at the Canadian Senior Championship held at Kawartha Golf and Country Club.
* 2007, Mark Brewer ties the competitive course record with a 67 in the first round of the club championship.
* 2008, Assistant Pro Steve Rodriguez sets the non-competitive course record with a 66.
* 2010, Rick King aces 2 par 3's in the same round playing at Timber Ridge Golf Club in Brighton, Ontario.
* 2010, Whitevale places 2nd at the George S. Lyon Club Team Championship with the team of Mark Brewer, Mark Burrell, Alex Letros, and Niilo Schonfeld each earning individual silver medals. Mark Brewer won medalist honours on the Copperhead Course at Rattlesnake Point Golf Club firing a 1 under 71. The other team members all shot in the 70s.
* 2011, Gail Pimm is ranked #1 among Seniors in Ontario.
* 2012, Whitevale wins the George S. Lyon Club Team Championship with the team of Barry Fairhurst (73), Mark Brewer (74), Cam Hreljac (76), and Chris O'Brien (77) each earning individual gold medals. The team defeated 31 other club teams in rainy conditions all day. Only one other club team all shot in the 70s. It was the first win for Whitevale since 1982 and the fourth overall for the club.
* 2013, Whitevale wins the Senior George S. Lyon Club Team Championship. The team of Declan Dunn (82), Barry Fairhurst (72), Bob Nebel (83), and Dave Walker (81) defeated 28 other club teams played at The Club at Bond Head (South Course) each earning individual gold medals. This was the first year the championship was contested among men in the senior age division. Whitevale was the only club with a combined score under 320, an average of under 80 per player. Barry had the low round of the day among all competitors with a great 72. Whitevale won the championship last year open to all men, this marks the first time the club has won back to back George S. Lyon Club Team Championships. This is the fifth win of this event for the club.
* 2014, Assistant Professionals Steve Rodriguez and Kevan Goble win the PGA of Ontario Pro / Pro Championship held at The Club at North Halton in Georgetown. The guys teamed up for a better ball score of 7 under 65 to defeat 62 other teams.
* 2014, Assistant Professional Steve Rodriguez wins the Merit Golf Vacations PGA of Ontario Match Play Championship.
* 2014, Gail Pimm is Runner Up at the 2014 Ontario Senior Championship earning a provincial silver medal.
* 2014, Gail Pimm is ranked 1st among Mid-Amateurs in Ontario.
* 2014, Niilo Schonfeld wins the ILDC Canadian Long Drive Championships with a grid record 412 yard blast.
Our current and former members
Here is a snapshot look at current and former members and their 2015 to 2017 golfing accomplishments. Whitevale members are proud of all of you.
*2016 Ranked 26th among Amateurs in Ontario
*Tied for 36th at the 2016 Ontario Amateur Championship
*Tied for 7th at the 2015 Ontario Champion of Champions
*4th at the 2015 Ontario Senior Champion of Champions
*2016 Ranked 10th among Seniors in Ontario
*Tied for 5th at the 2016 Ontario Senior Championship
*Tied for 13th at the 2016 Ontario Senior Champion of Champions
*2015 Ranked 8th among Seniors in Ontario
*Tied for 7th at the 2015 Ontario Senior Championship
*Wins 2015 Ontario Senior Champion of Champions in a playoff after shooting a 1 over 71 at Beverly G&CC
*2015 Ranked 17th among Mid-Masters in Ontario
*Tied for 30th at the 2015 Ontario Mid-Amateur Championship
*Tied for 44th at the 2016 Ontario Senior Championship
*2016 Ranked 9th among Mid-Amateurs and 6th among Seniors in Ontario
*Tied for Runner Up at the 2016 Ontario Senior Championship and will once again represent Ontario at the Canadian Seniors
*6th at the 2016 Ontario Champion of Champions
*2015 Ranked 3rd among Seniors, 5th among Mid-Amateurs, and 40th among Amateurs in Ontario
*12th at the 2015 Canadian Mid-Amateur & Senior Championship with Ontario winning the Inter-Provincial Championship
*Wins 2015 Ontario Senior Championship in a 3 player playoff that included Mary Ann Hayward
*38th at the 2015 Ontario Amateur Championship
*8th at the 2015 Ontario Champion of Champions
*3rd in the Open Division at the 2015 International Long Drive Challenge held in Mexico and part of the Canada 1 team finishing as Runner Up
*Wins the 2015 ILDC Canadian Long Drive Championships with a drive of 372 yards and will once again represent Canada 1 at the International Team Finals in November in Mexico
Our current and former junior members (2015 to 2017 achievements)
Our junior players represent the future. Recent Whitevale Junior Club Champions are:
Boys - Luke O'Neill 2015 and 2016
Girls - Lauren Bevan 2015 and 2016
*Tied for 3rd at the 2016 OFSAA Championships just missing out on an individual bronze medal in a playoff after rounds of 74 and 77 in this province wide high school event
*2016 Ranked 8th among Bantams and 26th among Juveniles in Ontario
*15th at the 2016 Ontario Summer Games Juvenile Championship
*Tied for 4th at the 2016 Ontario Bantam Championship
*Tied for 27th at the 2016 Ontario Junior Championship
*22nd at the 2016 Investors Group Junior Spring Classic
*2015 Ranked 28th among Juveniles and 43rd among Juniors in Ontario
*Tied for 9th at the 2015 Ontario Bantam Championship
*Tied for 25th at the 2015 Ontario Junior Championship
*2016 Silver provincial medal winner as part of the 4 player team at the OFSAA Championships representing Sinclair Secondary School of Whitby
*2016 Ranked 47th among Juveniles in Ontario
*Tied for 26th at the 2016 Ontario Summer Games Juvenile Championship
*2015 Ranked 22nd among Juniors in Ontario
*Tied for 9th at the 2015 CCAA National Championship
*9th at the 2015 Ontario Junior Championship
*Runner up at the 2015 Ontario Better-Ball Championship losing on the 1st hole in a playoff
*Tied for 5th at the 2017 Ontario Spring Break Challenge - Myrtle Beach
*Tied for 2nd at the 2016 OFSAA Championships winning the individual provincial bronze medal out of a 3 player playoff after rounds of 71 and 75. Brendan led the 4 player team at Sinclair Secondary School of Whitby to a provincial team silver medal.
*2016 Ranked 14th among Juveniles and 34th among Juniors in Ontario
*3rd in the Juvenile division at the 2016 CJGA Mizuno National Championship firing rounds of 72 72 73 75
*Tied for 47th at the 2016 Ontario Junior Championship
*Tied for 31st at the 2016 CN Future Links Ontario Championship
*Tied for 7th at the 2016 Team Ontario Cup
*2015 Selected by the Golf Association of Ontario to represent the 2015-16 Team York Under 17 High Performance Team
*2015 Ranked 23rd among Juveniles in Ontario
*Tied for 13th at the 2015 Ontario Juvenile Championship
*Tied for 23rd at the 2015 Ontario Bantam Championship
*1st among Bantams and 18th overall at the 2015 Team Ontario Cup making the Ontario team for the Ontario-Quebec matches in July
Past significant wins / accomplishments
* 1963 Whitevale Newsletter: Jim Short, a Whitevale Junior won the Mid America Junior Championship, at Possum Run Golf and Country Club, Mansfield Ohio. It was a 5-day match play championship, with 258 participants from America and 2 from Canada.
* 1977, Rick Todd finished 2nd at the Ontario Juvenile Championship held at the Credit Valley G&CC.
* 1978, Rick Todd placed 2nd at the Ontario Junior Championship contested at the Barrie CC.
* September 1979, Toronto Star: Rick Todd and Mark Brewer are winners of the OGA Juvenile Best Ball Tournament.
* September 1981, Mark Brewer is on the winning Junior Inter-Provincial team capturing the Pepsi-Cola Trophy at the Canadian Junior Championships at St. George's. Mark finishes 3rd in the event earning an individual bronze medal.
* 1981, Mark Brewer is ranked #1 among Juniors in Ontario.
* 1984, Graham Grieve placed 2nd at the Canadian Junior Championships contested at the Moncton G&CC.
* 1993, Todd Burrell finishes in a tie for 3rd at the Canadian Juvenile Championships held at the Nanaimo G&CC in British Columbia.
* 2003, Humphrey Yeung wins the Ontario Bantam Championship played at the Puslinch Lake GC in Cambridge.
* 2011, Jeremy Demers qualifies for the Callaway Junior World Golf Championship firing rounds of 76 and 69 at TPC Deere Run home of the John Deere Classic, a PGA Tour event.
* 2012, Meghan Bennett wins the Ontario Junior Match Play Championship.